Recertification Requirements & Revocation
The American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology (ABOMR) strongly values continuing education and expresses so in its mission statement. Compliance with continuing education requirements and other professional activities directed toward maintaining and increasing knowledge, skills and competence in OMR shall be required of all active Diplomates. Attainment of at least 50 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) over a three-year period is required for recertification. Diplomates will be responsible for maintaining their own records and documentation. The ABOMR Recertification Committee has been instructed to audit 5% of active Diplomates annually. These Diplomates will be required to submit documented proof of CEU attainment to the Committee. Diplomates who fail to meet the requirements will be placed on a one-year probation period, and appeals can be made during that time. Failure to comply with the requirements at the end of the probation period may result in revocation of certification as a Diplomate. The Board of Directors will consider petitions from individuals who may have extenuating circumstances for not meeting their obligations.
CEUs derived from CE activities are calculated using the following guidelines:
- 1. Attendance at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, or other national or international conferences, CE courses, seminars or workshops related to OMR (1 CEU per hour of credit awarded)
- 2. CE courses or other presentations given related to OMR (2 CEUs per hour of CE given; 2 CEUs per abstract poster or oral abstract presentation)
- 3. Publications dealing with OMR
- a. Primary/first author in a peer-reviewed journal; book; book chapter; monograph (10 CEUs per publication)
- b. Contributing author in a peer-reviewed journal; book; book chapter; monograph (5 CEUs per publication)
- c. Primary/first author in a non-refereed publication (5 CEUs per publication)
A minimum of 20 CEUs in 3 years must be earned from activities #1-#3.
- 4. Teaching
- a. Full time faculty status (10 CEUs per academic year)
- b. Part time faculty status (1 CEU per half day per week per academic year)
- 5. Clinical Practice in OMR
- a. Full time (10 CEUs per year)
- b. Part time (1 CEU per half day per week per year)
A maximum of 30 CEUs in 3 years may be earned from activities #4-#5.
*In addition to the above CE requirements, to maintain ABOMR Certification all diplomates are required to:
- Meet all annual financial obligations.
- Keep all contact information current and up to date.
REVOCATION OF CERTIFICATE
The Board of Directors shall have the authority to revoke the certificate of a Diplomate if one or more of the following apply:
- Failure to pay the annual dues
- Guilty of an offense leading to the revocation of the license to practice dentistry
- Failure to comply with recertification standards established by the Board.
The Board of Directors shall have the sole power, jurisdiction, and right to determine whether evidence placed before it is sufficient to constitute grounds for revocation of any certificate. The decision of the Board of Directors shall be final.
All Diplomates are expected to attend the Annual Meeting of the ABOMR to transact the business of the Board.
Adopted Oct. 15, 1997.
Revised Oct. 2, 2001; Dec. 2, 2003.; Oct. 17, 2022